lunedì, luglio 28, 2008

iPhone iPhone iPhone

I can’t believe I don’t have one yet! I just can’t stand to wait in line for it…

In the meantime, here are a slew of iPhone related items.

MattF passed along http://audiko.net – it allows you to create ring tones for your iPhone from your own mp3s, their collection, or youtube videos.

*

MB passed along an amusing commercial spoof that aired on “Talk Soup.”

*

ER passed along this awesome excerpt from O’Reilly: iPhone's Location-Aware Apps

Loopt – Free

I saw a quick preview of Loopt's friendfinder app at Where 2.0 and I've been eagerly awaiting it ever since. The Virtual Earth map allows me to see both my friends and Yelp search results together. I can also share my location through the app with friends. Unfortunately, this only seems to work for other Loopt users and Loopt does not seem to be to popular amongst my friends -- yet. I hope that a friendfinder app comes along that will replace my address book and show me a friend's latest status or location before I call them. Loopt has the status, but not the ability to call.

Where - Free

The Where platform was released by uLocate on Sprint last year (Radar post). This one program makes it very easy for developers to build location-aware widgets. The Where app provides the platform and the distribution channel for developers across many phones and carriers. The apps included in the iPhone version include a Starbucks finder, gasbuddy, HeyWhatsThat (a location-aware mountain identifier), SkyMap, Yelp, and a Zipcar finder. If you are looking to test the waters with a location-aware iPhone app I would consider using the Where platform.

Urban Spoon - Free

Urban Spoon is a restaurant picker with a unique twist. After using three slot machine dials to select neighborhood, cuisine, and cost you can shake the app to get a matching restaurant. The app will spin the dials (as shown in the screenshots), while waiting for your pick to come back. I've found the available locations to be limited (for example Santa Rosa, CA is missing), but if you can use the app where you are then its worthwhile.

more location-aware apps