mercoledì, maggio 23, 2007

Solace in Technology, Belief in the Future

A few weeks ago there was an article in the Los Angeles Times on Eric Jordan, co-founder of 2Advanced.

A few excerpts:

"We shape the future according to the way we imagine it," he says. "We always have."

*

The light, sound and movement on the screen are the work of Flash, an interactive design environment hosting a yin-yang balance of programming and art.

*

The first Flash website he built, with the goal of submitting it to the San Francisco-based Flashforward conference, was 2Advanced.com. It featured a ghostly self-portrait, Japanese kanji representing the four elements and the words "Solace in Technology, Belief in the Future." It launched shortly after Y2K failed to short-circuit the electronic universe, and the e-mail outpouring it triggered was entirely unexpected. "I never realized a website could have that sort of emotional impact on people," Jordan says.

*

"Before I dive into a project, I take a shower, I go for a drive, or see a movie or sit on my balcony overlooking the city and watch the lights shimmer," Jordan continues. "I will keep doing these things until I have what I call 'it'—the accumulation of inspiration and energy that has been built up in my mind as it pertains to that project. Without 'it,' there is no emotional connection with the user, no soul."